permaculture - Re: chicken forage

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: chicken forage
  • Date: Fri, 04 Aug 2000 14:48:18 -0600

At 10:13 PM 8/2/00 -0400, you wrote:
would you consider saving/sending me some nettle seed?
Chicken tractors are big here in Southern Ohio. I am not yet able to
continually care for animals but am planning for it in the future so your
list of forage plants will be saved. Thank you!

Dear Marty,

I have not tried propagate nettles from seed, I always do it by root division - dig up some when the plant is dormant, and divide in smaller pieces, plant in small pots and let it to come up (the best time for the division will be earliest spring, or late fall if you have a way of overwintering your plants without freezing them to death. If you would like I will send you some roots. I heard that in humid climates nettles should be planted where you want it to be for ever, as it spreads and creates clumps, that are not fun to walk by. So as usual everything is a question of proper management. Here in NM it is not a problem, as luck of water keeps everything at bay.

For happy chickens
Arina