permaculture - Re: Logo Symbolism & other threads

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: <permed@nor.com.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>, "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Logo Symbolism & other threads
  • Date: Tue, 1 Aug 00 09:58:05 +1000

on 30/7/00 Marcus wrote

>As a 25 year media veteran, the first thing I checked when commencing
>my permaculture website 2 years ago, was the issue of copyright, and I
>was told by the PRI head that PDC graduates were able to use the logo
>to promote their permaculture work. My PDC class was told the same
>thing, that we were able to use aspects of "permaculture" as long as
>we did not copy Bill's work whoelsale. Obviously Bill's recent press
>releases and his trademarking the logo have changed that opinion.

The 'PRI head' you refer to I assume is Geoff Lawton who has no more
authority on the subject than any other Pc teacher. PRI paid Bill
Mollison $250 for a licence to use the egg symbol for merchandise. Bill
only gives this licence for 2 years. I've been disturbed by the way PRI
have used the egg symbol as their PRI logo which has led a lot of people
to think that PRI is the authoritive institute. (see Pc Institute
confusion pasted below)
I was previously under a similar assumption to what Marcus stated and
have used the symbol in a low-key way only in association with
information about PDC's and The Permaculture Institute - I recently
received a request from The Permaculture Institute (Bill & Lisa Mollison)
to remove it from my material or risk legal action.

Robyn