permaculture - Re: mtg locations, fossil fuels, etc.... a solution?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: mtg locations, fossil fuels, etc.... a solution?
  • Date: Wed, 14 Jun 2000 15:34:24

On 06/10/00, ""Robert Jensen" <robertscroft@hotmail.com>" wrote:
> What an interesting and useful idea from Barry & Margarita!!!

If I may put my two cents in, I agree with this concept wholeheartedly! At
United Plant Savers they put together a slide show project along with some
very basic educational materials in a small handbook. Members are allowed
to use or purchase the slides to conduct 'informational seminars'. A few
nominal fee is charged ($5-10.00) and then there is a question/answer
period afterward. Of course this presentation involves "Plants at Risk"
and cultivation and restoration of native medicinal plants, but the concept
is the same. The seminars are always packed and the newsmedia, papers,
etc. advertise the event free of charge as a 'community project'.

Brochures, resources and informational hand-outs are given out and the cost
of the seminar helps cover these costs. United Plant Savers supplies the
brochures at no cost. They've been trying for awhile now to put together a
video, but it seems that all the volunteers who originally promised to get
it together have gotten lost somewhere.

I've held many of these informal seminars and of course I don't have all
the answers to all the questions sometimes, but I know where and how to get
them and also direct the individuals to the 'right' people. They also
handout membership applications with a 10% discount for the seminar-goers,
as UpS is a non-profit grassroots organization and they've gotten many new
members and funds through these informal get togethers.

This is a terrific way to get the public interested, educated and involved,
but as it's been said before in these posts, to keep the vision going, you
have to be able to provide somewhere the people can go for hands-on,
examples,additional training and support.

Now, who and how can this vision be assembled and carried through? There
are no boundaries with this type of concept, it can go global, annual
conferences could be set up all over the world for members if it became a
membership based effort.

Blessings,
Ava