permaculture - Re: potty-training cows

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: potty-training cows
  • Date: Fri, 9 Jun 2000 12:1:22

On 06/06/00, "Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>" wrote:
> At 06:18 PM 6/5/00 +0000, you wrote:

> I have found that some ranchers are willing to cooperate in developing
> water tanks off of the riparian zone. If your creek is has appropriate
> head and volume you might consider a ram pump to push water out of the
> creek bed up to grazing land.

Dear Scott:

This is great information, thank you! I've been speaking with Natural
Resources regarding the problem, now they've put me in contact with a
wild-life biologist who is more than willing to help us, including state
funds, to set up some private wild-life reserve areas and use
phyto-remediation as a possible means to clean up the watershed.

> I think it's worth while to talk to local ranchers you might be
> pleasantly surprised that they respond to health issues, children, and bio
> diversity issues.

The local ranchers, along with USDA and NRCS are willing to put in filter
strips and take up some conservation practices for soil/water. NRCS will
pay them 'rental fees' on the acreage plus give them incentive payments and
technical advise, to make it easier, economically, to put these practices
in place.

> It is better to enroll them as partners in problem solving rather than >
> confronting them as "the enemy".

I LOVE working within the system to get things done. I've seen very
knowledgeable individuals with ideals and goals labelled as 'radical' and
lose their credibility. I try to use 'example' as a means of getting things
done, sharing whatever information and knowledge I have available to me,
and some take it and use it, some don't. But it's a start and if I can
make a difference for just one other individual, then I consider it a
success.

Blessings,
Ava