permaculture - Re: Sustainability?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Judith Hanna <jehanna@gn.apc.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Sustainability?
  • Date: Sat, 03 Jun 2000 09:03:52 +0100

Fascinating insights flying around -- thanks for starting this one up Myk,
and to everyone else, particularly Toby for several well-thought through
posts. My twopennyworth:

1) Sustainability is indeed a word being battled over, particularly between
environmentalists and economists -- important to keep asserting the
environmental bottom line of 'not damaging the natural systems that sustain
life' -- while also insisting that the 'meeting human needs fairly' aspect
has to be taken on-board by greenies.

Timespan: is often a practical issue. For instance: In negotiating with
Haringey Council over production of its Local Agenda 21 Plan, we have had
to accept a report with 3-year action targets -- plus a clear statement
that the next stage must aim for a longer term 20 year vision and targets,
based on wider involvement. My view is that 20 years is about the practical
limit for long-term planning (though 'vision' can be longer) -- beyond
that, too many potential changes in technological possibilities and
prevailing trends. Planning needs to be iterative -- with each stage
specifying when it will review progress and plan for the next steps ahead.

2) The permaculture sound-bite about aiming for 'maximum yield' from a
system always worried me -- too close to the greedy commercial/consumerist
"more" imperative that has been so destructive. "Enough" is a more
sustainable aim.
The way I construe the design aim of "maximum yield" in a sustainable
system is that we are looking for *optimum* yields and *diversity* of
yields -- that is, aiming to produce the quantities we can make use of and
meet as wide a range of needs/desires as possible from our local system.
With a home garden, for instance, this means taking into account not
just
kilos of edible produce, but also quality of freshness and taste, hours of
aesthetic enjoyment, healthy exercise (can be set against health club
fees), learning (set against potential course fees/books), waste reduction
from composting (set against annual municipal disposal costs), etc.

Judith
Judith Hanna
jehanna@gn.apc.org
15 Jansons Rd, Tottenham, London N15 4JU

  • Re: Sustainability?, sbonney, 06/01/2000
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: Sustainability?, Judith Hanna, 06/03/2000