permaculture - Re: permaculture digest: May 31, 2000

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lance Roseman <lanceroseman@yahoo.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: permaculture digest: May 31, 2000
  • Date: Thu, 1 Jun 2000 13:08:43 -0700 (PDT)

--- permaculture digest
<permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu> wrote:
> permaculture Digest for Wednesday, May 31, 2000.
>
> 1. Videos
> 2. Re: Lawn Obsession...Ortho products
> 3.
> 4. Re: Videos
> 5. Re: Lawn Obsession...Ortho products

> Subject: Videos
> From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
> Date: Sun, 28 May 2000 16:27:35 -0300
>
> ..
> > Information has to be accessible. We must never
> underestimate the power
> of
> > the
> > Global Gardener Video and now that it is off the
> air, I wish someone would
> > produce another, more up-to-date video reflecting
> today's attitudes and
> > needs.
> >

> I agree. A very powerful video is about Helen and
> Scott Nearing's lives
> ,from Bullfrog videos...Although it does not use the
> word Permaculture, it
> shows how one couple successfully learned to be
> self-sufficient using their
> own hands and a lot of intelligent planning...
> In fact Bullfrog videos has a lot of very
> interesting material which we can
> insert in our courses...
>
> Marsha

> Subject: Re: Lawn Obsession...Ortho products
> From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
> Date: Wed, 31 May 2000 10:17:14
>
> On 05/30/00, ""Claude Genest" <genest@together.net>"
> wrote:
> > Oh Ava !
> >
> > Don't knbow wether to laugh or cry on that one !
> > Cheez, I'd only heard good things about Indiana
> till now ( my brother went
> > to Purdue).
> > This lawn business is worse than I thought.
> > Apparently there was an Oprah show recently
> devoted to the splendors of a
> > manicured lawn.
> > What madness.
>

> Speaking of Purdue! Home of Dr. Jim Simons and his
> 'New Crop' program.
> Wonderful ideas regarding sustainable living, new
> fiber and chemical crops
> for agriculture. Supposed to help put the American
> Farmer back on the map
> (other countries have discovered they can grow corn
> & wheat, also). The
> only problem with this program is that they take
> most of the educational
> programs out of the country. Mint is the only crop
> education/workshops
> they have available for this state, which has only
> been producing mint
> since my grandparents can remember!
>
> They do nothing here to help support permaculture,
> sustainability, etc.
> I've tried getting information, etc. from Dr. Simon
> and he won't even take
> the time to respond. I thought that since he was on
> the board of United
> Plant Savers, which I'm a charter member of, that I
> might have a little
> pull with them and nothing! I had to write to other
> organizations to get
> [...]
extent of madness the Usan government is willing to
outpour on it's neighbours. It has happened here in
South Coastal B.C. that peoples 'crops' are being
eradicated by an unknown white powdery mildew. It
started showing up about 4 years ago and it has been a
horrible nuisance for marijauna growers ever since.
As a one time med-pot grower I know from
experience how devestating the mildew can be upon
those who already have weakened immune responses. It
is rather telling that the Usan government 'gets off'
on poisoning it's populace whether it be Paraquat,
Unknown Mildew1, Gulf War Syndrome,Agent Orange or
what have you.
As a Canadian I always assumed the Usanians only
bombarded third world countries with toxic crap, but
the war has been brought home I suppose. Now there is
evidence which points to the Usans spraying not only
'Unknown Mildew1' but also a chemical cocktail which
the preponderence of evidence shows has been and still
is being dumped on the populace of North America.
This spray seems to cause upper respiratory tract
infections, depression, nausea et al.
This whole war hysteria bullshit around supposed
'drugs' (read:plant helpers which don't have to many
negative side effects) has got to end. My garden (in
a perfect world) would definitely contain as many
potent herbs as possible. Cannabis, coca, opium
poppy, and some or any combination from which I could
obtain ayahuasca borealis. If it grows in the ground,
it is fine by me.

In Lake'ch
Lance