permaculture - Re: Lawn Obsession...Ortho products

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: sbonney@iquest.net
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lawn Obsession...Ortho products
  • Date: Thu, 01 Jun 2000 11:42:49 -0500

Tell me, how do academics and Ag Schools view
>Permaculture? I can't understand why there aren't
more people on board. Why do youy suppose that is?
>Does PC have a bad rap? and if so, why?
pc does not have a bad rap with the ag schools.
It and other approaches to sustainability are simply not
a part of their mindset. The land grant institutions (actually
most universities) have become so arrogant that they do
not accept ideas which do not originate within their closed
academic arena.
Thus, grass roots movements and ideas simply
are not accepted. For instance, at Purdue, rotational
grazing is called rotational stocking, sounding like their own
invention.
A former Purdue agronomist (sadly, who now heads
the the Agronomy Department at another land grant)
pronounced that sustainable agriculture is a cult.
Most of all, alternative thinking does not fit into the
industrial model of agriculture. How can permaculture
applications fit into a 1200 acre farm (the minimum
acreage to earn a living according to Purdue ag
economists), with over half of the land being cash
rented from year to year?
Big money rules universities. The in-coming
president of Purdue (from Iowa State) is a Bill Clinton
type person whose fortes are fund-raising, authorian
rule, and emphasis on technology. There is little hope
for alternative thinking here.
As for tuition fees for special courses,
permaculture fees pale compared to Jim Simon's 10
day course on herbs @$1900. By the way, Ava,
Simon is leaving Purdue for Rutgers University.
Best,
Steve

Steve Bonney, President
Sustainable Earth
a 501(c)3 not-for-profit dedicated to the development of
sustainable agricultural systems and community food systems.
100 Georgton Ct., W. Lafayette IN 47906
tel (765)463-9366; fax (765)497-0164;
email sbonney@iquest.net