permaculture - Re: Lawn Obsession...Harmonious relationships with neighbors.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Ava Devenport" <essenheal@iname.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Lawn Obsession...Harmonious relationships with neighbors.
  • Date: Tue, 30 May 2000 16:41:55

On 05/30/00, ""Claude Genest" <genest@together.net>" wrote:
> Oy-Vey !
> Where do you live Ava?
> Does such a thing exist in the U.S. /Can?
> What is the rational behind such a law?

I live in Indiana part of the year (where this law is) and SW Colorado the
rest of the year (where the concensus is:...within the scope of what the
PEOPLE want). We had a discussion regarding "lawn mowing laws" just
recently here on this list, can't remember the date, sorry.

The rationale here being most of the people in neighborhoods like nicely
trimmed lawns, etc., cottage gardens are a mismash of mostly weeds and the
majority prevails! We even have "planned communities" here where you are
not allowed to plant a shrub or flower without getting the permission of
the 'homeowners association' and they have to approve placement, etc.,
before/if you are allowed to do it.

Want to hear more? A new law was recently passed and put in force
regarding mandatory recycling (which I'm not necessarily against) but, the
waste management people the city hired to do this sends out a bill to the
city, the city sends a bill to us, pay up or get sued, if you then don't
pay, once again it's attached as a tax lien against your property. Now,
even if you don't use this service, as many don't because they do their own
recycling (they get paid cash for aluminum, glass, etc.) you STILL have to
pay this recycling bill. The city is right now suing the first 200 lot of
over 2,000 people who refuse to pay their bill, 4 of them being police
officers and one being our own State Representative who helped pass the
bill.

The recycling company sent out a letter with instructions including this...
if you catch someone going through your recycling bin removing cans, etc.,
you're supposed to call the police, they will arrest the person and bring
them up on 'theft' charges. I called and wrote a letter to the city, the
county and the recycling company telling them this was against all
humanity. If someone goes through my bin and removes articles, they are
STILL MINE, until they are picked up. Those individuals have my approval
and permission to remove those articles and if they EVER have anyone
arrested, I plan to bring the city, county and company up on charges. We
have many low-income and street people in this area of the midwest (isn't
that the biggest sin you've ever heard of in this country?) If they need
the money, they are welcome to my aluminum cans!

A few years ago, we had a 'special vote' to impose an extra county tax to
pay for the infamous 'College Football Hall of Fame", which none of us
wanted anyway.(We have Notre Dame, everyone goes there). All of the big
companies, etc., promised to pay for this monstrocity, didn't pay, now we
have to pay. We voted that tax down three times! Each time they had
another 'special vote', then they went through the back door somehow and
voted the tax in without us.

I can't wait to move back home to Colorado, where the people are basically
normal, feeling human beings.

I could go on and on regarding the unjust laws in this state. I really try
very hard to stay out of trouble here by volunteering and offering
information. It lands on either deaf ears or laughter because "I'm so
soft". Ignorant individuals. Now I'm angry all over again. I think I'll
go take five to meditate, send out some positives.

Blessings,
Ava