permaculture - Re: Lawn Obsession.....

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Claude Genest" <genest@together.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Lawn Obsession.....
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2000 09:10:23 -0400

Wow ! Great responses to my query - thanks so much for the pep talk, I
needed it !

Below, I respond to individuals:

Lawrence F. London, Jr. wrote:

> You have 3 1/2 acres of land and they get bent out of shape over the
> state of your yard, much less your lawn? They have a problem. Suggest
> they seek counseling.

Many of you echoed that sentiment. I agree with it inasmuch as the criticism
they levy says more about them than it does about me, and besides, what
others think of me is none of my business !

However, as lovely Marsha says elsewhere, it does raise another interesting
question: How do we not alienate the "lawn people" - How do we make "messy"
permaculture attractive to all those ordered neat freaks? The question is
particularly germane to me personally because one of "them" is my very own
dear old dad !!
If I can't get through to him...... ?

> Yes. There are millions of things you can do with open land without
> doing grass alone. Want morew ideas? I spent 16 years as a landscape
> designer/contractor and can offer a combination of pc and landscape
> solutions. How much money do you want to spend?

I'm ready to spend for earthworks, plantings, ponds, the whole shmear -
a good 5k) So, Lay it on me buddy !

Myk Rushton Wrote:

"The area between the trees, aka lawn, in theory has the same nutrient and
mineral content as the soil that you are growing your trees in so why let it
just lie fallow? I'd try an visualise the area between the trees as a
resource to be planted and harvested i.e. as a field/pasture, for the
benefit of the trees. I'd think about planting herbal lays/deep rooted
annuals/nitrogen fixers/predator attractant plants/pest repellent
plants...etc. I'd then harvest these plants, by mowing if necessary, to
within 0.5M
of the drip lines and use them as mulch around the bottom of the trees up
to 0.5M beyond the drip lines. There are a multitude of benefits from this
kind of management."

Excellent Myk. Thank you. I 'm visualizing wildflowers around the new
trees - these will bring in lots of birds and bugs and provide the mulch
youi mention.

Question : what's the best way to get wildflowers growing? The "pros"
recommend using "round-up" - not gonna do it ! I've been experimenting with
having my chicken tractor dig up the sod, but that's not working so great.
Someone else said removing the sod helps ( lot of work) - How about laying
down newspaper and putting compost and then the wildflower seeds over that?

Samantha in Texas:

Oh, you're story of the neighbor who came over to mow cracked me up !
10-4 leaving a buffer srtip to keep mice et.al away ( good call)
I'm starting those mulch piles today!

Also, the neighbors around here are, like yours, good and well intentioned
people and I feel privileged to have them. They are so helpful and
considerate.
I know that my neighbor offered to mow my lawn for me because he kept seeing
my 79 year old dad mowing it for me.... What he didn't know was that I
couldn't stop the old son of a gun if I wanted to.... Besides, he just looks
so happy when he's out there winning the battle of the weeds - Like a Rommel
leading a divison of Panzers through the Sahara or something - Whwnever my
lawn gets long he ggets all panicky for me and says things like " You'll
lose your lawn son !" ( then more urgently ) "You'll LOSE IT !!"
Gotta love him.

Last and definitely not least - Marsha Hanzi in Brazil:

Yeah, I found a big patch of comfrey growing wild out back, so I'll begin
transplanting that today !
Re: ground cover: Good one ! I'll use clover - hell, purple clover is the
state flower for crying out loud !
Re: No sunshine in Vermont - I'll thank you to not rub it in, Miss Samba
from Ipamena ! :-) (it's nearly June and still no sign of summer !)

Thanks again all,

Warm Regards,

Claude in Vermont