permaculture - Re: Fw: BC organic fruit victory

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "H. Allen Sylvester" <asylvest@eatel.net>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Fw: BC organic fruit victory
  • Date: Thu, 04 May 2000 21:47:17 -0500

Dear PC listers,
Having grown up on an apple orchard in the Okanogan valley (USA-side
spelling!) Washington a few miles south of where the Similkameen enters
the Okanogan River, I think a few comments are in order. I received a
B.S. in Botany from U. WA. and a Ph. D. in Genetics (Plant Breeding)
from UC Davis (classical genetics, before genetic engineering). Plus, I
have worked with honey bees and subscribed to Organic Gardening (&
Farming) for 30 some years.
Comparing apples and canola is much worse than comparing apples and
oranges. The fruit of apples, etc. comes strictly from the female
parent tree. The seeds carry genetic material from whatever pollen
fertilized the bloom, but this does not affect the fruit, other than to
stimulate it to develop, unless they have changed the rules of plant
morphology and development. Since no one in my family eats apple seeds,
we would be totally unaffected by eating an organic apple containing
seeds fertilized by genetically modified pollen. Therefore, removing
organic certification from organic orchards near genetically modified
trees is totally uncalled for.
In contrast, the fertilized canola seed, which could be expressing
GMO characteristics, is the part that is processed to yield canola oil.
Therefore, those who object to GMOs do have a valid objection in that
case.

Allen
H. Allen Sylvester