permaculture - Re: sandbags

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Harald und Margit Wedig <avantgarden@wxs.nl>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sandbags
  • Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2000 23:10:43 +0100

This is what I found about building with sandbags:

To: strawbale@crest.org
Subject: re: building with sandbags
From: The Last Straw <thelaststraw@strawhomes.com>
Date: Fri, 10 Mar 2000 12:01:39 -0700
Sender: owner-strawbale@crest.org

Carol Steinfeld asked: anyone out there built anything with sandbags
[etc]

Rob Tom said: I recall seeing an article (or two?) on the technique
written
up (with photos) in The Last Straw within the past year.

For those who haven't picked up a copy of the book Carol co-authored
called The Composting Toilet System Book, what're ya waiting for?
It's the most complete book on the subject's state of the art that I've
seen.

As for dirtbags, besides the CalEarth site that RTCrowley mentioned at
http://www.calearth.org/ and Pat Newberry's site at
http://www.gnat.net/~goshawk/index.html , there's a couple more.

Joe Kennedy (not the same one) worked with Nader Khalili at > CalEarth
for a
couple years when it was getting started up. There's an article by Joe
about dirtbags (including longbags) at
http://www.networkearth.org/natural_building/earthbags.html

Kaki Hunter and Doni Kiffmeyer are another coupla great dirtbags, and
there's an article by them (the same one we ran recently in TLS, but
there
are more photos with the version I put on the website) at
http://www.networkearth.org/natural_building/honey.html

Carol Escott and Steve Kemble of Sustainable Systems Support have been
doing the dirtbag thang in the Bahamas; there's an article and photos
at
http://bisbeenet.com/buildnatural/earth.html

and this