permaculture - Re: sugar cane question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Marsha Hanzi" <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: sugar cane question
  • Date: Mon, 13 Mar 2000 04:29:58 -0300

You can plant the canes in trenches, as Sal mentions, or you can plant in
pieces, upright, with two knots on each piece. From the frist knot,
underground, come the main roots, the second knot should be in contact with
the ground and not in the air, so that vigorous shoots come out. If the
knot is in the air, weaker shoots, with no direct soil contact, will be
formed.

To keep your patch vigorous, every two months or so ( according to the
weather), strip off the dry leaves, and use as mulch, cut out the mature
canes flush at the ground ( important!), pull out sickly shoots, and leave
one or two good, healthy young shoots of about 1 meter high. This will keep
your patch vigorous with large juicy canes, with healthy re-sprouting.

Marsha Hanzi
Instituto de Permacultura da Bahia
http://www.geocities.com/oliarte