permaculture - Re: the front lawn

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Scott Pittman <pci@permaculture-inst.org>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: the front lawn
  • Date: Tue, 21 Mar 2000 19:38:09 -0700

At 02:40 PM 3/21/00 -0800, you wrote:

My parents moved into a new place in IA and want to remove some grass to
plant a garden and flowers. Does anyone know a good way to get rid of
grass for good without herbicides?

Black plastic hasn't worked. We left parts of the lawn covered for a year
one time but when the ground below contacts air and light again the
grass comes back from the root. She got a rototiller and was thinking of
tilling it under. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

Dawn

Severe overgrazing with chickens worked for us. Under severe I mean keeping them in a movable pen for several more weeks after all signs of grass are gone. Please don't forget to mulch, and water occasionally, so chickens can scratch deeper. (also - may not work for the first time. we grazed three areas this way, and one is recovering)

arina

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: pci@permaculture-inst.org