permaculture - Questions about lespedeza.

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul S. Hetrick" <psh@ledgewood-consulting.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Questions about lespedeza.
  • Date: Mon, 06 Mar 2000 10:56:23 -0500

Hi Everybody,

I'm new to the list, but this seems like a good place to ask a few questions.

I'm about to start revitalizing a played-out farm in the Missouri Ozarks.
I'm hoping to get most of the perennials I'm going to want planted this
year. I'm also going to over-seed the land that's cleared with plants that
will help build the soil.

I'm looking for some information on a couple species of Lespedeza. In
particular Lespedeza thunbergii and Lespedeza virginica. L. thunbergii is
sometimes called tall bush clover, sometimes shrub lespedeza. L. virginica
is sometimes called slender lespedeza, sometimes bush clover, sometimes
slender bush clover. L. thunbergii can get up to 8' high and an 8' wide
bush. L virginica is about half that. Both are legumes with a perennial
root, but the top dies back each winter. Both are sold by nurseries as
ornamentals.

The Missouri Department of Conservation sells both as game cover and food.
I seem to remember reading that bush clovers make good rabbit fodder, so I
am thinking about trying some. My biggest question is: I mentioned these
to a friend and he warned me that they may be invasive. Since they don't
show up on lists of fodder crops I'm also wondering how palatable they are
to animals. I know Korean Lespedeza is used for fodder, but it's the only
species that I know of that is. Any information on the palatability of
these species would be welcomed. I'm looking for rabbit fodder now, but
I'll also have chickens and oxen soon.

A large perennial legume that I could use for fodder would be nice. I'll
be using a lot of alfalfa and clover to build soil, but I'd like to try as
many things as I cam. If the rabbits won't eat it, it should make a good
compost crop. I just don't want to introduce anything to my land I can't
get rid of if I need to.

Thanks,

==>paul

  • Questions about lespedeza., Paul S. Hetrick, 03/06/2000