permaculture - Re: Ethylene cycles

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Russ Grayson + Fiona Campbell <pacedge@magna.com.au>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Ethylene cycles
  • Date: Tue, 22 Feb 2000 13:32:40 +1200

Hello Marsha...
While recently updating material for a permaculture publication, I realised
that the
stuff on the ethylene cycle in use in permaculture education in Australia (as
far as I
know) was somewhat old - dating from the 1970s.

So, seeking to verify what was being taught in permaculture courses
(something I have
found is necessary to do before promoting it again as 'fact') in regard to the
ethylene cycle I contacted the CSIRO, Australia's national scientific research
organisation, requesting information on the current state of research.

They responded that there had been no research since the 1970s, leaving the
state of
knowledge of that period as all that was available regarding the ethylene
cycle.

Perhaps permaculture teachers or soil scientists in other countries have more
recent
research. I have not done on internet search.

When we have taught it in our courses in past years, I have found that
students - even
well educated ones - have difficulty understanding the cycle.

Perhaps if someone has up to date scientific research available (rather than
unverifiable specuation) they hay care to share it with subscribers to this
list.

Good luck Marsha...

...Russ Grayson

---------------------
PACIFIC EDGE
Permaculture & Media
Russ Grayson and Fiona Campbell

PO Box 446, Kogarah NSW 2217 AUSTRALIA
Phone/ fax 02-9588 6931 (IDD-61+2+9588 6931)
Email: pacedge@magna.com.au
WWW: http://www.magna.com.au/~pacedge/

PERMACULTURE/ COMMUNITY BASED ESD: permaculture education + Australian City
Farms and
Community Gardens Network (NSW contact) + organic gardening training +
overseas
development aid project services.
MEDIA: publication design + desktop publishing services + website design +
journalism/ photojournalism.