permaculture - [Fwd: Transgenic Goats- Messing with goat gene pool]

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: SANET <sanet-mg-digest@ces.ncsu.edu>, permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: [Fwd: Transgenic Goats- Messing with goat gene pool]
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2000 13:45:12 -0500

Old MacDonald Had a Drugstore - Eeyai!Eeyai!Oh sh...!

> Farm Goes High Tech With Genetic Research
> Nanny goats, implanted with embryos injected with extra genes, will be able
> to produce drug-laden milk. (Michele McDonald - For The Washington Post)
>
> By Justin Gillis
> Washington Post Staff Writer
> Monday, January 17, 2000; Page A1
>
> FRAMINGHAM, Mass. – On a rustic expanse of woods and fields and barns not
> far
> from here, a fifth-generation dairy farmer in blue coveralls tends a
> bleating, affectionate herd of goats. The rituals of rural life play out
> every day: Feed the goats. Milk the goats. An 1850 farmhouse, restored to
> splendor, welcomes visitors, and an old buggy trail wends across the land.
> The future, it seems, is going to look a lot like the past.
> But not entirely. Just yards from the barns and the buggy trail, people in
> laboratory coats peer through microscopes while expensive machinery whirs.
> Phrases like "protein expression" and "embryonic microinjection" are thrown
> around as casually as old-time farmers discussed the weather. In the century
> of wonders now dawning, this old dairy farm is likely to be a showplace, an
> exhibition of the possibilities of technology.
> Some of the goats on the farm, run by a company called Genzyme Transgenics
> Corp., have human genes in them. Others have genes not found in nature,
> genes
> produced by human artifice. In their milk, the nanny goats produce drugs.
> Old
> MacDonald's farm it isn't: One goat is expected to make drug-laden milk
> worth
> as much as $30 million a year.
> Genzyme is competing with two companies, including the one that helped
> create
> Dolly the cloned sheep, to be first to bring to market a drug produced in
> "transgenic" animals. At all three companies, the logistics of producing
> drugs this way have largely been solved – their scientists have repeatedly
> shown it can be done. What remains is to commercialize the technology, known
> as "pharming," and in that goal Genzyme has a jump on its competitors: It is
> farther along than any other company in human testing of a transgenically
> produced drug.
> Last week the firm reported positive test results of the compound, a protein
> believed to aid in preventing blood clots during heart-bypass surgery. It
> was
> the second major study to suggest the drug works, and a final test is under
> way. If the results hold up, Genzyme could win approval from the Food and
> Drug Administration to sell the drug by sometime next year.
> The anti-clotting drug is just an opening salvo, however. Working with other
> companies that want cheaper, easier ways to make drugs on a large scale,
> Genzyme has produced more than 60 in the milk of mice, an initial test of
> whether the method will work for a given drug. Goats on the farm are making
> [...]
begin:vcard
n:Johnson;Keith
x-mozilla-html:FALSE
url:metalab.unc.edu/pc-activist
org:The Permaculture Activist
adr:;;PO Box 1209;Black Mountain;NC;28711;USA
version:2.1
email;internet:keithdj@mindspring.com
note;quoted-printable:URL: metalab.unc.edu/pc-activist=0D=0A=
x-mozilla-cpt:;-1
fn:Keith Johnson
end:vcard

  • [Fwd: Transgenic Goats- Messing with goat gene pool], Keith Johnson, 01/17/2000