permaculture - Re: Cover crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Cover crops
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 13:19:03 EDT

Hi,

Some excellent posts lately on cover crops.

I'd like to pose a problem for group input.

I have purchased a farm in south central Kentucky...but am not fully moved
down yet. It's a bit frustrating since we first need to build a home, and
there is so much to do :)

We are trying to use Permaculture design, sustainable ag, organic concepts as
basis for various farm related enterprises...CSA, Agroforestry, Pastured
Livestock.

Well the johnson grass, and weeds have taken over since I've not been able to
get it cut or bush hogged. Really gotten away from me , and much has alraedy
gone to see.

Lots of diverse weeds so I figure soil must be OK..tested out at 6.2PH..a bit
low but OK.

Anyway I'm trying to figure best way to START process of building up
/improving the soils.

But I have to start small...have no machinery on hand yet...but ugh will need
some equipment. The property is just too large, and requires periodic
maintenance, brute HP:)

First area is 2.5 acre market garden site ...overgrown with weeds. Normally
I'd prefer no till methods...but with all those weeds it seems that I must
till them under and then plant cover crops like vetch, lespedeza, and maybe
some fava beans.

Will these winter kill, or do I need again to till it under and make raised
beds. Hopefuly that will be the end of tilling for that area.

In addition I need to begin building up improved pastures for intensive
grazing. I've always believed that a variety of well adapted , nutritious
pasture grasses both warm and cool season works best. Again should I till
everything under and start from scratch, or bush hog it, and broadcast seed
hoping it will germinate.
Extension folk are recommending a mix of white ladino clover and red fescue.
Johnson grass sure grows well...but it seems to just take over.

Any ideas. Frank