permaculture - Re: Cover crops

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Cover crops
  • Date: Tue, 17 Aug 1999 12:57:27 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

On Tue, 17 Aug 1999, Toby Hemenway wrote:

> virtually insignificant effect. I inherited a garden with some real
> problems: it had been "fertilized" with immense quantities of wood ash and
> fresh manure, then watered with untreated, stored greywater (pH 9; storing
> greywater is a no-no) so the soil pH was 8.2 and the tilth was gone. It
> had been red clay to begin with, thus it was very ugly. Gypsum plus cover

Lambs quarters, Johnson grass (its not that bad), milkweed, amaranth,
goldenrod and ragweed would grow in this soil and might help jumpstart
restoration of tilth and use up nutrients.