permaculture - Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)
  • Date: Wed, 4 Aug 1999 00:36:01 -0400 (EDT)

Lawrence F. London, Jr. -+|+- Venaura Farm
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net
http://metalab.unc.edu/london, /permaculture, /ecolandtech
EcoLandTech -+|+- InterGarden -+|+- Permaculture

On Wed, 4 Aug 1999 FranksFarm@aol.com wrote:

> <<Speaking of books and libraries, who in this list is into
> collecting (hounding :-) publications on ag, landscaping, gardening,
> permaculture? I'm into it in a big way and have a huge library of books
> and mags. I know Scott is into this also, and I hear Bill Mollison is
> also. Others?>> Ha...you have found me out. I too have quite a collection.
> Someday I might even decide to sell some:)

Aha, you too!

> Many are out of print too. Lots of old OG,TMEN mags etc. I'm a real
> hoarder
> too.

... and Whole Earth Catalog, and Co-Evolution Quarterly, Horticulture,
Country Journal, Harrowsmith, Scientific American, Fine Gardening, and
more

> Ladino Clover...Greg... white ladino clover seed is real expensive down
> here.
> I think it was over $3 a lb...but I might be wrong...just recall it was
> expensive! I know it's lighter, and has more seed per lb. but I'd rather
> find a substitute at lower $$. Any suggestions?

Crimson clover, red clover, Alsilke clover ?, tall sweet yellow and white
clover (mail order from Johnny's or elsewhere - this is the best clover of
all, with possible exception of Ladino (have no experience with this -
$3/# isn't all that bad) >

> Lawrence... watch out Kudzu is banned in many states. It can really take
> over; chokes out natives etc.

I know all about Kudzu, its a good thing and needs to be more widely used.
Can't possibly be worse than Bermuda grass.

> I know about it's protein content, fodder value...but I'd hate to get
> behind
> on controlling it. I'm told goats like it.

I am sure - and think of the compost you could make. Ought to be easy to
harvest.

> Lespedeza.. <<Just broadcast it or drill it - make sure it gets planted
at
> the right
> depth, i.e. shallow, I think>> Now just how do you ensure that if you
> simply
> broadcast it. Or are you talking about broadcasting after you have a nice
> prepared field?

The latter. Or if the area isn't prepared just broadcast it anyway.

> Right now grass has gone to seed, really weedy in some areas. How do I
> best
> establish Lespedeza in such fields? Seems that you'd really need to
> broadcast
> heavily, and hope that it takes. Wouldn't growth be real spotty?

Broadcast it them mow the field. The cut weeds/grass will cover and muilch
the lespedeza seeds so it can germinate.