permaculture - Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 1999 11:22:34 EDT

Hi ,

Well I spoke to the folk at the local extension office. They tell me I can
make a pond well over an acre, and it should hold water real well:)

The pond site would be paralell to the farm road but about 20' back from it.
On the other side of the raod is the edge of a 2.5 acre fenced market garden
area...that I would like to irrigate as needed from the pond.

At the rear of the pond to the north and east are fairly steeply sloped
forest, due east land rises slightly to a knoll with woods on other side of
drainage way.

To the south& west is fairly flat pasture land dotted with evergreens, and
trees.

Pond site contains a good # of trees...about 25.

I hope to make it an acre in size.

High point was staked by extension at 0.3" the dam point at 8'6"

The run off curve is 70....don't really understand what this means???

The rain fall over evaporation differential is 8. Annual rainfall is normally
ca 51 inches( not this droughty year) in area. This was given to me by
extension. If I understood the fellow right..that means over 80% of rainfall
is lost through evaporation!!! That sure seems like a hugh loss. Any comments?

Cubic Ft per Sec off hills was computed as 20 based upon a 10 yr storm of 4.5
inches when ground is fully saturated.

25 yr storm is given as 5.3 inches when ground is fully saturated .

OK...can someone tell me the significance of all these numbers and how I use
them to design the pond????

I want to construct this pond with as few $$$ as possible...so I'd appreciate
any suggestions as how to do this given the anticipated size of an acre.

How do you figure out how much dirt has to be excavated from such a pond when
land is gently sloping to south and west, a bit steeper just off woods into
pond area.

Also I'm unclear on "core fill" concept and how to set up the dam, and
install a drain, overflow vent, anti-seepage collar,to properly size outflow
pipes etc.etc.

It's far more complicated than I thought:)

Look forward to your comments. I hope this exercise will be of use to many
of us who are building farm ponds. Frank

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu