permaculture - Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: FranksFarm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Pond construction ideas needed (for FranksFarm)
  • Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 11:55:34 EDT

G'day mates

Seems like we have a few talented Aussie pond mavens on the list. Fantastic.

Just visited Peter's pages <A HREF="http://www.krtf.mtx.net/page13.html";>KRTF
water pages</A>. Lots of good ideas. Thanks Peter...lok forward to your
input.

I noticed though you were planting trees fairly close to the banks...is this
primarily to stabilize the banks? or for shade, beauty etc.

I thought it was best to keep most of pond in sunlight, or dappled
shade...and not have deciduous trees placed so that leaves do not accumulate
at bottom of the pond?

Also if yo go with a 3:1 slope can you cut a shelf in at spots to set
cerytain water plants in containers to get varying heights...will shelf hold?

Thanks. Best to all. Frank