permaculture - Re: poison ivy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Larry London <london@metalab.unc.edu>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: poison ivy
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 22:59:30 -0400 (EDT)

http://metalab.unc.edu/london InterGarden
london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net

On Thu, 17 Jun 1999, Kelley wrote:

> I'm fairly sure that the dead plant does remain viable, whether or not
> composted, I'm not sure. Even

I'd have to re-read the faqs to see if composted PI is dangerous; I think
not. The dried vines could cause a rash up to certain time limit, i.e.
when they become composted in situ, about 1 year; until then I would
treat them as green vines.

> vines in the winter can contract the rash. I'm in New England and digging
> anything is quite a chore,
> especially persistent vines that seem to permeate all throughout the
> surrounding dirt. I'll check out
> the websites. I'm wondering if it would do anything just to cover it with
> black plastic staked down with
> our granite rocks? Any thoughts? I'm very much not into touching it, even
> with a shovel, as I've had
> some nasty reactions in the past. Thanks for the info.

I would insist that digging them, CAREFULLY, is perfectly safe. Read the
FAQ about this procedure, it goes into this issue in detail.
Be prepared to wash with Octagon soap at any moment as when a PI vine chip
may flip onto bare skin while digging. Don't use chlorox to clean
affected areas, it is very toxic and will make you sick. Use only
non-aromatic soap (Fels Naptha or Octagon) and cold or warm water.
Use long handled tools and store them away from human contact after use
and remember not to touch parts other than the tops of the handles later.

I would not rely on black plastic and stones to get rid of PI as the
underground roots will just continue growing underneath and come up into
the light outside the plastic; I am fairly sure of this. PI can be very
vigorous. Depriving it of moisture as well as light may help get rid of
it but completely digging it out of the ground is the most reliable
method.