permaculture - Re: poison ivy

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Kelley <amaranth@uninets.net>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: poison ivy
  • Date: Thu, 17 Jun 1999 13:06:07 -0400

I'm fairly sure that the dead plant does remain viable, whether or not
composted, I'm not sure. Even
vines in the winter can contract the rash. I'm in New England and digging
anything is quite a chore,
especially persistent vines that seem to permeate all throughout the
surrounding dirt. I'll check out
the websites. I'm wondering if it would do anything just to cover it with
black plastic staked down with
our granite rocks? Any thoughts? I'm very much not into touching it, even
with a shovel, as I've had
some nasty reactions in the past. Thanks for the info.

Kelley

Larry London wrote:

> http://metalab.unc.edu/london InterGarden
> london@metalab.unc.edu lflondon@worldnet.att.net
>
> > Anyone know of an effective, safe means of getting rid of poison ivy?
> > We happen to have some growing along the edge of our garden plot. I
> > know I can't burn it. Can I compost it out?? Other thoughts? Kelley
>
> Dig it up, carefully, then bag it to send to the landfill.
> Or bag it in heavy black poly bags and let it rot inside;
> use the compost to fertilize a new tree planting - the following
> docs should tell you whether the urushiol in the PI remains viable
> through composting, personally I doubt it; dried vines maybe, I'd be
> careful with them.
>
> These documents should help:
>
> (this one is the old but official PI FAQ from the rec.backcountry
> Usenet newsgroup):
> http://metalab.unc.edu/london/rural-skills/health-safety-welfare/faqs/poison-oak-ivy.faq
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/london/rural-skills/health-safety-welfare/faqs/poison-ivy.faq
>
> http://metalab.unc.edu/london/rural-skills/health-safety-welfare/faqs/poison-oak-ivy.distilled-wisdom