permaculture - Re: Weed & manure teas

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Martha Ruth Hills (MelbPC)" <mrhills@melbpc.org.au>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Weed & manure teas
  • Date: Sat, 15 May 1999 08:28:33 +1000

Hi,

I live in Melbourne Australia where the weather is a bit like San
Francisco. Since I'm not good at weeding, there were always lots
of grasses gone to seed in my planting beds. I soaked them in
plastic garbage bins for months and then put the "tea" (diluted) on
the garden; the leftover material wouldn't sprout.

The plastic bins, though, split after a couple of batches, so I looked
for another method.

Then I got chickens. I still have to pull the weeds unless
I want them to dig up everything (except kikuyu, the roots of which they
leave) to feed to them. When they're out, they do keep the lawn mowed,
except for the edges.

Onward, M R

Martha Ruth Hills

Our life is more than our work and our work is more
than our job.