permaculture - pine nuts

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Greg E <gje@metaphasetech.com>
  • To: permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: pine nuts
  • Date: Fri, 14 May 1999 17:59:25 -0400

I am looking for information about a species of pine that produces small
edible nuts. I'd like to incorporate such a plant in our setup as both a
evergreen barrier/windbreak as well as for its ability to produce an
edible crop.

From what I've read so far, it seems most commercial sources of pine
nuts seem to be growth in Nevada or sw USA. I am in the midwest USA
(Ohio) and am hoping a variety of this tree will grow here.

Your experiences, recommended cultivars, nursery sources, etc would be
most appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Greg E.