permaculture - Re: [permaculture] Re: Pc teacher input on Pc Courses

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Richard Morris" <pfaf@scs.leeds.ac.uk>
  • To: "permaculture" <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: [permaculture] Re: Pc teacher input on Pc Courses
  • Date: Thu, 20 May 1999 6:8:35

eric + michiko wrote:

> BIG CONCLUSION:
>
> I agree with the summaries but not the assumptions.
>
> NEW BIG QUESTION:
>
> Why can't Pc be less expensive?
>
> BONUS QUESTIONS:
> Am I missing something?
> Is this the answer to Marsha's question: why is Pc so expensive?
> Is Pc only for those who "choose" to make the necessary sacrifices?
> Is the Pc Design Course a form of initiation ritual?
> Are books and the internet the only alternatives?
> Does the quality have to follow the price down?
> Is the "best" presentation of Pc the only one worth giving?
> Is a solid introduction enough to spread the ideas of Pc?
> Can spreading the ideas and teaching the skills be separated?
> Are we interested in changing the situation?
> Etc.
>
> Whinging Dead Horse Beater Looking for Intellectual Work,
>
> Eric Storm

> Are books and the internet the only alternatives?

No if you want to learn permaculture and are not too bothered
about getting a certificate, then theres plenty of cheep
ways to learn. In the UK theres lots of groups with land
just looking for a bit of person power. Most only ask small
fees for upkeep. I know last year several hundred people
passed through Plants For A Future, none were charged.
There were also many other major permaculture events
(The Permaculture Assoc Gathering, the Permaculture Camp
at the Big Green Gathering, The Natty trust) which didn't
charge much at all. It seems like the only thing you have
to pay for is the official Design Courses. You do however
need to invest time rather than money.

Anyway this is all an excuse to adverstise another chepo
permaculture event (a mear 30 quid).

You Are Invited To the 1999
NORTHERN PERMACULTURE CONVERGENCE
during and on the site of the Northern Green Gathering
-
-
WHAT IS IT?
· An opportunity to meet up with other people with an interest in
permaculture
· A time to talk about how we can work together to develop permaculture
in the North re--
· A space to network your own project and to learn about other peoples
projects · A chance to relax and enjoy this years Northern Green
Gathering with all its entertainment and
networking potential

THE PLAN SO FAR
FRIDAY
· 6 p.m.: Taking stock. We will create a map of Permaculture in the
North of England, and have
time to share the stories of our work
SATURDAY
· Afternoon: Permaculture Association & Office. The office is moving to
Leeds in July and will
there are plenty of opportunities to get involved!
· All Day: workshops to be confirmed - what can you offer?
· night: Social round the fire by the Permaculture Garden
SUNDAY
· Permaculture Diploma meeting - Have you got one, or do you want to do
one? The come to this one
· Projects Network meeting
· Teachers & Leaders meeting
· Afternoon: A Vision for Permaculture in the North -how do we want to
develop as a network and
spread the word to as many people as possible?
· other workshops to be confirmed
EVERY DAY
· Introduction to Permaculture - can you run this workshop?
Work on the permaculture gardens - your chance to get your hands dirty

HOW CAN I HELP?
· People are needed to set up the Permaculture Garden and workshop area
beforehand - the sooner
the better!
· A team of up to six is needed to keep the event together, i.e. share
the running of it
· We are grateful for any donations of plants or materials to create
the site
· You can become a sponsor of the Garden by sending a minimum of £5 to
the Gathering

WHEN , WHERE & HOW MUCH?
· The Gathering: Wednesday 28 July - Sunday 1 August
· The Convergence Friday 30 July - Sunday 1 August

· Venue is an organic farm near Pontefract, West Yorkshire
· You will receive directions when your booking is confirmed

Tickets £30. Ask for concessions; Reduced price or free entry if you
help run the event.
Enquiries: 0113 278 7066 or 224 9885
Cheques and Postal Orders payable to: Northern Green Gathering, 3
Thornville Place, Leeds, LS6 1JW
Or email cornerstone@gn.apc.org

--
Rich Morris (pfaf@scs.leeds.ac.uk) for
Plants for a Future: more than just potato's

---
You are currently subscribed to permaculture as: london@metalab.unc.edu
leave-permaculture-75156P@franklin.oit.unc.edu