permaculture - Re: girdling

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Keith Johnson <keithdj@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture <permaculture@franklin.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: girdling
  • Date: Tue, 23 Feb 1999 18:57:08 -0500

Miekal,
Have you tried those white plastic coils that wrap around the trunk? They're
effective.
Does this happen mostly in deep winter snows? You may need more hawks and
owls (cats,
foxes, coyotes), but the snow may cancel or hinder their efforts.You can
attempt bridge
grafts to restore larger trees, but they're not always successful.
Keith