permaculture - RE: DIY liquid fertilizer

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: DIY liquid fertilizer
  • Date: Thu, 14 Jan 1999 16:29:07 -0800

Aloha,

Two I know of:

"Compost tea" - soak finished compost in water for about 24 hrs., then
strain out the compost (well, all the big stuff, anyhow :-) and use the
"tea" to water the plants.

For providing primarily nitrogen - human urine (from people without
bladder infections, etc.), diluted with water. I've heard lots of
dilution ratios; 10:1 seems to be most commonly recommended. Be sure
nitrogen is needed - too much of this in a container plant could be an
overdose...

>been snowing a little bit here for a couple weeks, temp at 0 & below
for
>same duration, reminds me of winter.

OK, I won't complain about the weather here in Seattle... ;-)

John Schinnerer