permaculture - Re: Embankment

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Paul and Sandra" <crows@tkc.att.ne.jp>
  • To: <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: Embankment
  • Date: Sun, 15 Nov 1998 11:32:53 +0900

1. If the deadmen (into bank logs) are inclined toward the bank, then
gravity will do it.
2. Or put a notch into the deadmen to prevent the top course from rocking
3. or drill some good holes and use a dry peg (will soak and swell)
the last course is not critical as there is not much weight behind it. I
like playing with pegs and axes just for the experience. Plant roots will
ultimately hold the bank. Have you considered innoculating the logs with
mushrooms?
a traditional landscape approach woud use some kind of joinery (#2) or use a
big drill and auger bit and drill strait through both logs and pound a piece
of rebar through both, in which case you need to keep the logs from moving
while drilling and pounding.
Paul Cereghino - crows@tkc.att.ne.jp - Tokyo