permaculture - Re: Stucco w/manure?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Marsha Hanzi <hanzibra@svn.com.br>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Stucco w/manure?
  • Date: Wed, 04 Nov 1998 14:29:23 -0800

> I remember was insects eventually eating their way through and therefore
> these floors
> are traditionally replaced every few years.

Unfortunately , in many parts of tropical rural Brazil, one of
the insects who lives in the holes in mud walls transmits a protozoan
disease called "Chagas Disease", which has infected whole villages at a
time ( causes lethargy, heart deformation, intestine obstruction, and
sometimes slow death). Most such constructions are now being replaced
with bricks with almost total elimination of the problem. As long as
the stucco is well-maintained with no crannies and the house kept light
( with windows and whitewash), there is little danger of infestation.

Marsha Hanzi