permaculture - Sanity vs Sanitisation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: David de Vries <ddevries@scu.edu.au>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Sanity vs Sanitisation
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 1998 21:49:45 +1000

Discussions by our US participants on rainwater spur me to give them some
encouragement - go for it!

Reject the Mother Culture telling you that nature is unclean/spoilt...

You may get a sceptic telling you about particles, bugs and pollutants that
require a high tech fix (food grade plastic, filters, sterilisers etc.)
just ignore them - if your roof/rain was is in that bad a shape (and it
isn't) all you would have left is prayer.

Many societies have trouble with the simplicity of drinking water off of a
roof. The MOST complex you need to get is described in the Manual Fig 7.21
"Methods for rejection of first water flow off a roof". - This ain't rocket
science.

Now, If you want to eat a carrot - pull it out of the ground, give it a
wipe on your trousers and eat the sucker. And so on..

David

  • Sanity vs Sanitisation, David de Vries, 09/28/1998