permaculture - What's a sector?

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Martha R. Hills" <hills@rivett.mst.csiro.au>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: What's a sector?
  • Date: Wed, 12 Aug 1998 09:08:21 +1000

I thought I knew what it was, but in developing a one-day intro course
with another member of Permaculture Melbourne (Australia), we found we
had different understandings.

On Permaculture One, we found [if memory from last night serves me]

external sources of energy (wind, sun, rain)

According to Jono, wind, rain and sun are the sectors, so the bracketed
information defines the term. To me the bracketed words are examples
and that sectors can include other forms of energy more important in
suburban and urban situations, chiefly money.

To complicate things, we found in a PDC handout from a course here that
sector refers to the physical environment responding to incoming energy,
eg. a fire sector is that part of the land likely to be burned and
therefore to be designed with that in mind.

Any thoughts would be welcome.

onward, Martha