permaculture - RE: Food Supply Update: June 5, '98

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: Food Supply Update: June 5, '98
  • Date: Thu, 11 Jun 1998 17:36:58 -0700

Aloha,

<big snip>

Well, there's definitely such a patent - go to

http://patents.uspto.gov/access/search-num.html

and enter the number 5,723,765 to see the online info available from
the US Patent Office (inventors, assignees, references, abstract, etc.).
The abstract appears to briefly outline a couple of broad genetic
plant-modification methodologies without specifying clearly (to me, anyhow)
what all they might be used for (probably a good variety of scary things).
Creating plants that produce sterile seeds seems entirely possible. The
abstract ends with "...Plant cells, plant tissues, plant seed and whole
plants containing the above DNA sequences are also claimed." The most
recent patents referenced appear to involve virus-resistance and viral
transformation of plant cells and related genetic manipulation techniques.

Anybody got a copy of the whole document (and the biology background
to fathom it)??

John Schinnerer