permaculture - RE: -->POISON and KILLING industries

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: -->POISON and KILLING industries
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:26:09 -0700

Aloha,

weapons.

In Hawai'i, where Roundup is always on sale at the local hardware
store in gallon jugs of concentrate, the common vernacular for Roundup, etc.
is in fact the word "poison." Everyone calls Roundup and the like "poison,"
and uses the word in the same way as they use the words "coffee," "gasoline"
and "pavement" (for example... :-).

Sample conversation:
"What you folks do last Sunday?"
"I wen' spray poison on da weeds in my yard an' we took da kids to
da beach fo' go swimming..."

...so don't be surprised if any initial impact of the word "poison"
wears off rather quickly...

John Schinnerer