permaculture - RE: pesticide industry vs. auto industry (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: John Schinnerer <JohnS@STLabs.com>
  • To: "'permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu'" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: RE: pesticide industry vs. auto industry (fwd)
  • Date: Mon, 8 Jun 1998 17:13:05 -0700

Aloha,

alternative.

I doubt that "substitutes" have anything to do with it in either
case. Looks more like cultural implicits to me. If we insist on being able
to drive a private vehicle (or a semi full of produce, "organic" or not)
wherever and whenever we want we will justify (and are justifying) whatever
damage to our life-support systems we please. Ending chemical pesticide use
is only a small part of the (cultural) change necessary to slow and perhaps
reverse our rush towards extinction. Changing our land and transportation
use patterns seems to me a much larger part.

John Schinnerer