permaculture - Re: tropical plants species listing

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <rvraders@tpgi.com.au>
  • To: "April Sampson-Kelly" <askpv@ozemail.com.au>
  • Cc: "pc discussion group" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: Re: tropical plants species listing
  • Date: Wed, 18 Mar 1998 18:50:41 -0800

Some more plants

Family Acanthaceae

Rungia klossii - Mushroom plant (easy to grow herb, cuttings... eat in
salads or cooked)

Aceraceae

Acer ? some ornamental maple of my mum's

Actinidiaceae

Actinidia deliciosa - Kiwi (needs male and female).. have a couple of
plants grown from seed, but would like a male/female grafted plant..our
neighbours have a very good vine)

Also interested in obtaining seed for A. chinensis, and other edible kiwi
species which might suit our climate even better.

Agavaceae

Have a large agave, very striking said to be good for fibre. It's possible
some parts are edible if I can id the species.

Alismataceae

Have a Sagittaria sp (arrowhead).. an attractive rampant water plant with
edible tubers when cooked.

Alliaceae

Won't try the species names, but I've got what we call

Chinese chives (white and purple flowers - society garlic?).. our main
onion flavour .. grows very well
chives (not easy to grow)
leeks do well over winter
perennial leek (looks sad much of hotter months)
shallots do well over winter
giant russian garlic (sometimes doesn't grow well)
tree onion (bulbs produced aerially...doesn't do well here)
onions (pretty variable..usually don't bother...still buy them :( )
had no luck to speak of with garlic

Would love info on Alliums besides chinese chives that willdo well in more
tropical areas, or suitable growing techniques.

See ya

Rene