permaculture - beets

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Rene and Lorraine van Raders" <rvraders@tpgi.com.au>
  • To: <hills@mst.csiro.au>
  • Cc: "pc discussion group" <permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu>
  • Subject: beets
  • Date: Sat, 14 Mar 1998 17:25:23 -0800

Hi I'm not sure how they process beets commercially but thought you might
like this recipe from Jackie French's A-Z of Useful Plants

Peel and slice beets, cover with water, boil for 2 hrs. Place in sieve and
press out juice. Keep juice in fridge and use as a sweetner.

Stephen Facciola's Cornucopia lists Sugar beet as Beta vulgaris Crassa
Group...young leaves in salads, raw or lightly cooked. Older leaves used
like spinach. Roots eaten cooked or pickled. Juice can be fermented. Can
make sugar, syrup or molasses.

I have made sugar from sugar cane juice... well jaggery really. The juice
was boiled and boiled and boiled. Finally the syrup was allowed to cool...
what cooled slowly had huge sugar cyrstals in it (in smaller containers
much smaller crystals were formed). The taste was good, but a very strong
molasses taste.

Good luck... have fun.

Cheers