permaculture - Re: Steven McFadden/CSA book (fwd)

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Bruce Brummitt <lilacmn@eot.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Steven McFadden/CSA book (fwd)
  • Date: Fri, 23 Jan 1998 12:46:24 -0600 (CST)

Well, Beanman...I'll agree within certain limits. As an example: I'm
active in the "alternative energy" community and we've had go-arounds about
how to make it palatable to the "masses". I for one come down on the side
that is against having electric monster truck rallyes. I'm also against
electric 4 wheelers as "recreational" toys. (They should actually be called
de-creational vehicles.) I don't care too much for suburban mega-houses in
wilderness areas even if they do utilise photovoltaics.
I've met and spoken at some length with Ani DiFranco (in Winnipeg about 8
years ago) and I think she may have had something other in mind with the
words you quoted. She's a good example of not supporting mega-labels, and
look at the impact she's had. I think it's the system that doesn't bend and
will eventually break. It's up to us to wield our tools formidably.

Two more pieces of copper...
Bruce

Cheryl Valois and Bruce Brummitt
<lilacmn@eot.com>
46N56' 95W20
Visit the Natural Building Gallery
<http://www.zianet.com/blackrange>

************
From: beanman@ix.netcom.com

> Barnes & Noble
[snip]

> ...oughtn't we sustaggies use sustainable ag to teach a
> progressive/local ethic of communication and business as well as a
> progressive/local ethic of land use and community? And to challenge
> things like the lifestyle of the shopping mall and the mega-store?

Well, here we are on the Net, not exactly a sustainable technology and
not exactly local either!

One must not cut off one's nose to spite one's face. We are in an
imbalanced, toxic mode of living, and to get it back to balance and
health will take lots more than resenting the situation with which we
are faced.

Sure it sucks that the mega-corps are sucking out local biz. I watched
my favorite health food store die under the shadow of Fresh Fields,
however, what also killed them was mismanagement. But anyway, my point
is better to have a talk on CSA at Barnes and Noble than none at all.
Moreover, perhaps, just maybe, one person who never heard of CSA and who
wouldn't be in the local bookstore but goes to B&N, will get turned on.

We must always see how we can direct our energies into the positive. I
mean that's what permaculture is all about. It's Aikido of the land
(among other things). Don't grumble about B&N; find out how to use it
while it's there, perhaps w/ a vision of how not to need it anymore,
like PC.

As we heal and balance and reshape our society it is VITAL that we be
flexible with the circumstances in which we are living.

Two lines from singer Ani DiFranco:
"What doesn't bend breaks."
"Every tool is a weapon if you use it right."

Keep the Good energy flowing!
--
Happy gardening!
Beanman