permaculture - Re: Increasing soil microbial activity

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: blissv@nmhu.campus.mci.net
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Increasing soil microbial activity
  • Date: Thu, 27 Nov 1997 20:02:14 -0800 (PST)

I had made a mental note about Daikon for spring planting at Jack's
recommendation since he extolled the virtues of a variety he had growing
(Sakuragima) as a tasty, drought resistant and hardy source of greens as
well as root. All the more reason after hearing your technique, Scott, to
plant plenty as there is an ongoing challenge here at 7300 feet in the
Sangre de Christos of northern New Mexico to keep the soil soft enough for
roots to penetrate!

One would have already had deep, loose soil in the Pacific Northwest after 4
years of building the soil such as I have. Here it is not the case. Though
now I am able to dig the earth whereas when I dug my first garden bed here,
a fork would not even penetrate, it is still far from a loose, friable
tilth. SO, this year, after actually considering double-digging, I got over
my temporary lapse of sanity and started to gather materials.

Jack's been here and is helping by using a pick to loosen the surface on the
former pathways that I am turning into growing areas. Even in the pathways
we could see the work the worms had been doing under a cover of comfrey
leaves and straw. Meanwhile I am bringing in bags and bags of gathered
leaves mixed with grass clippings which I am spreading on as thickly as the
amount I have allows. I got a huge load of fresh horse manure lightly mixed
with shavings. The biodynamic folks tell us that piling on the fresh manure
is a wonderful way to bring life-force to the soil.

Heaped on top of the leaves is a good 4" layer of poop. Spread on top of
that is a covering of rotted hay and then another 4" of manure. The whole
thing is topped off with a deep blanket of rotted hay. Under all this
wonderful layered worm food are the many clovers, rye grass, medicago, nitro
alfalfa that I let grow throughout the gardens and then piled compost and
these layered materials right on top. Little by little the gardens are
getting covered and so far they are piled about 10 inches high. With ample
snow and moisture, it will break down and feed LOTS of hungry worms and
provide rich and softer soil...

I have been enjoying the discussion that originated with reference to Bose's
research. Long ago, as a horticulturist working in a huge greenhouse/nursery
complex I came across 'The Secret Life of Plants', a book that rang so true
for me and validated a way I had been working with plants and inspired me to
explore more. Ever since I have worked with the consciousness of plants
(without any controlled research to back me up, though), I am sure over the
years there have been times that plants have thrived on love and consciously
directed 'good energy' primarily.

May you know many things for which to give thanks! Blessings of the season...
Vicki