permaculture - Re: Indicator plants and FUNGI - field trips

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: YankeePerm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Indicator plants and FUNGI - field trips
  • Date: Sun, 23 Nov 1997 10:42:06 -0500 (EST)

>Dan wrote:
>
>>if your forest still has its fungi, you may be able to save the trees,
>
>>though
>
>>it is a real long shot if you live in anywhere in the North Temperate Zone.
>

>we are in coastal humid rainforest borderline between sub-tropical to
temperate,
>heavy clay soil,
>
>there is high recovery rate of soils in this climate [savoury]
>

>BTW our north is not temperate it is stinking hot.
>
>(Paul reckons I only know two temperatures stinking hot and freezing cold!!)
>

>my trees are over 80 years old and still fruiting well, the fungi is on
>
>rotted wood on the ground level.
>
>There are now 61 new fruit trees on our little patch and we
>
>will soon need a saw to get through it. I don't feel there's a danger of
tree loss,
>can never tell I guess.

Basic geography: the North Temperate Zone is in the Northern Hemisphere.
The South Temperate Zone is in the Southern Hemisphere. Though I have seen
evidence of exactly the same sorts of tree decline in the South Temperate
Zone (in New Zealand), it was spotty, confined mainly in and downwind of
urban centers. Generally, most people don't see what is going on until
trained to do so. This takes about 3 or 4 hours of slides--brutal to the
mind and emotions, but effective. You'll never enjoy that streak of red in a
green maple again, because you'll know it is the mark of death.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. One is now underway. Next Live program: Paraguay, 9/98.
Internships available. Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52,
Sparr FL 32192 USA YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.