permaculture - Re: Plant awareness

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Steve Diver" <steved@ncatark.uark.edu>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Plant awareness
  • Date: Fri, 21 Nov 1997 20:50:14 +0000

Milo,

Thanks for sharing that info on Sir Jagadis Chandra Bose.

I fondly remember reading "Autobiography of a Yogi" by Paramahansa
Yogananda, wherein he talks about Jagadis Chandra Bose and his
experiments with sensitive plants.

On both my trips to Calcutta, his research was on my mind because
there's an institute named after him. Of course it is one thing to be in
Calcutta and another thing to actually find your way around. Calcutta
is like another planet....there are so many people (highest density in the
world, at one point I was in a sea of people walking down a busy street
and the push carts and delivery trucks were at a complete stand-still, a
wall to wall people jam)....and every new corner brings a funky surprise.
Though, on my last trip I did manage to accomlish trips to the Calcutta
Botanical Gardens, Botanical Survey of India, Calcutta Flower Show, and
the Development Research Communications and Services Centre.

Development Research Communications and Services Centre is one
noteworthy organization that deserves mention. DRCSC publishes a
quarterly magazine that focuses on sustainable agriculture in West Bengal
and Bangladesh titled "Debacle." They also conduct on-farm research and
teach village workshops.

Development Research Communications and Services Centre
18-B Gariahat Road (South)
Dhakuria, Calcutta 700 031
Tel: 473 4364
Publishes "Debacle" quarterly newsletter

As an aside, I compiled a 10-page bibliography titled "Selected Bibliography
on the Useful Plants and Agriculture of India, Version 1.0" from
visits to non-profit institutes and bookstores during my Winter '96-'97
trip....which I will be glad to send by email. Emphasis is on medicinal
plants, useful plants, sustainable agriculture, organic farming, seed
preservation, ethnobotany, water, traditional Indian agriculture,
biofertilizers, crops, and the politics of the green revolution.

But, I have yet to come across any of Sir Jagadis Chandra Bose's
publications or meet anybody who can speak about his work.

Do you have any citations that you can share? What about those
five ponderous tomes?

In India, the people I was hanging with (yogis, homeopaths,
naturopaths, organic farmers) used the word "bio-energy" in
every day conversation. No big deal. Been there, done that....
about 4,000 years worth of living in touch with the concept of
bio-frequency.

Western science, on the other hand, has not been very hospitable
to bio-energy practices in agriculture and medicine, until recently
at least.

Still, at the same time we are witnessing a shift from the Chemical
Agriculture Era of post-WWI to the Biological Agriculture Era
(sustainable agriculture, organic farming, and permaculture) there
are hints that the next era, the Subtle Energy Era, is just over
the horizon. Biodynamic preparations, radionics in agriculture,
dowsing, johrei, reiki-enhanced seed treatments, homeopathy for
livestock, acupunture for livestock, ayurvedic pest control....they
each have an energetic component--in addition to their physical or
chemical components--that cannot be explained very easily by
19th-20th century science.

I ain't saying these energetic practices are a substitute for
good old common sense ("get the engine running first, then adjust
the carbeurtor") and a truckload of compost. But, I am saying that
biophotonic information transfer from microbes in one compost pile
to microbial cousins in a second compost pile located some distance
away....and how we might adjust composting practices and microbial
populations through light and sound frequencies--including mental
thought forms such as meditation and prayer--to enhance the healing and
rejuvenating qualities of compost..... is something we've only begun
to fathom.

Steve Diver
Fayetteville, AR

--