permaculture - Re: Paulownia and Re: Central Coast/Cal Poly

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Loren Davidson <loren@wombat.net>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Paulownia and Re: Central Coast/Cal Poly
  • Date: Wed, 12 Nov 1997 14:43:12 -0800

At 05:23 PM 11/12/97 -0500, Carriecg@aol.com wrote:
>Hey Akiva!
>
>Have you considered the paulownia tree ("Sapphire Dragon") for your sight?

Pawlonia, from what I've been able to gather from the literature, etc.,
requires a fair amount of irrigation (minimum 10 gallons per week per tree?)
in order to attain the advertised 10+ feet per year. While this will pose
no problem in some parts of the country, in California results may be
somewhat less optimal without irrigation during the dry season.

There are some folks here in northern CA who are currently experimenting
with pawlonia; in the year or two they've been growing the trees, they have
not attained the advertised growth rate. Given the short test time and
small data sample, I'm not sure that any conclusions can be drawn yet.

Pawlonia purchased from Sapphire Dragon can be gotten for somewhat less per
tree if you buy in quantities > 2, according to the price list I saw. There
are other cultivars of pawlonia available, and I've even seen seeds listed
for sale in case you want to do your own work growing them. I believe that
Johnny's Selected Seeds might carry them (www.johnnyseeds.com(?)).

I think that the jury is still out on the suitability of pawlonia for Pc
design in California's seasonal drylands climate zones. I would be
interested in hearing what results are being gotten in California (or
similar climate zones) from people who are either not irrigating the trees
or who've integrated them into a Keyline or other Pc-friendly system.

Loren
--
Loren Davidson
loren@wombat.net http://www.batnet.com/beauty/