permaculture - Re: Tissue culture propagation

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: Lee Flier <lflier@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Tissue culture propagation
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 20:46:33 -0500

Milo wrote:

>The results from tissue culture are inconclusive as yet although as time
>passes I get more clustering of hints that there is something missing from
>the cloning which comes home in due time. There are reports that cloned trees
>may not have the same structural qualities as non-cloned.

Yes, I sort of suspect we will find out more things like this as time goes
on. I am really pretty reluctant to use this technique even though it is
often recommended as a cheap way to plant a lot of trees.

>Why not just go out among the cloned varieties and ask them what they think?
>Not as wild an idea as most will suspect.

What, talk to the trees? I don't see anything wild about that - I've done
it since I was a kid. And at least among clones you can be sure they'll
all give you the same answer. :-)

= Lee =

Lee A. Flier
lflier@mindspring.com