permaculture - Re: Strip crops and poultry

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: YankeePerm@aol.com
  • To: permaculture@listserv.oit.unc.edu
  • Subject: Re: Strip crops and poultry
  • Date: Wed, 15 Oct 1997 07:13:57 -0400 (EDT)

>That sounds beautiful. We have a blue heron that visits our pond most
>days to do a little fishing. I really enjoy watching it fly off into the
>sunset in the evening.
>
>Dan Settles

Yes, we have herons too--blue, grey, white. At dawn if you flush them from
hunting, they rise as though they were in slow motion, the undulation of
their wings seemingly a beauty utterly independent of flight. They lift an
melt into the sun-speckled mist while the sliver water lillies open. this is
the Florida swamp land that everyone thinks is worthless. You are right,
stay away, the viscious alligators will get you. (More likely, fire ants.)

Mollison was so right about edges. That is where the action is, dusk and
dawn, when the mystery of life tingles at the surface. This is what we are
saving with permaculture if we do it right and don't spend all our time
fighting each other.

For Mother Earth, Dan Hemenway, Yankee Permaculture Publications (since
1982), Elfin Permaculture workshops, lectures, Permaculture Design Courses,
consulting and permaculture designs (since 1981), and now correspondence
courses via email. Next starts in Oct. 1997. Internships available.
Copyright, 1997, Dan & Cynthia Hemenway, P.O. Box 52, Sparr FL 32192 USA
YankeePerm@aol.com

We don't have time to rush.