permaculture - Re: creating online plant database

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: creating online plant database
  • Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 22:34:10 -0500

On Wed, 07 Nov 2001 18:44:41 -0600, mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net> wrote:

>the part where Im less clear how it could work would be the following.
>suppose we
>create a record for buartnut. say 6 different people enter different data
>in the
>same field, for instance in the field for USES. how do we make sure that no
>one
>overwrites anyone elses data? what procedures would we use for verifying the
>accuracy of the data? something like this has the potential to be VERY
>valuable if
>there is a core of people/sites slowly inputting their infos.

For the field USES have an open-ended list of subfields for all the
different entries submitted; or records within the field USES. Users
could add their own identifers to differentiate between records.

>also Im just beginning to learn the intricasies of creating searches & this
>might be
>an area where some assistance would be needed. for instance what I would
>like to do

If all records accessed by the database are simple text files in a
directory heirarchy in a website then searches made available by other
than the proprietary tools offered by the DB software would be
possible, i.e. Google, Yahoo, Altavista, Northern Lights and in the
case of ibiblio, Google finetuned and focused on all ibiblio's own
resources. I'm assuming that the DB will exist on a website as well as
on CD's that undergo regular revisions.

>once this database gets going is to create a field for SITE. on the
>dreamtimevillage.org website then I can hook to that database & have our
>webpage
>display only those entries of plants that are growing at Dreamtime. (there
>would
>also be a web front end for the database as a whole which could also be
>separate
>link)...

Great idea.

>as for everyone's suggestions, if we are going to do something collective
>than I
>would say that just about everything suggested is relevant to a plant
>database.
>individual webpages can be configured to display whatever data that person
>felt was
>relevent.

A FAQ could be created for the project with DB features, ideas,
wishlists etc. along with progress-to-date, where to find the beta
version, lists of fields and data collected for them.

LL

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org