permaculture - Re: pc in Kabul

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: pc in Kabul
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 15:46:53 -0400

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 14:30:06 -0400, "Nick Routledge"
<fellowservant@yahoo.com> wrote:

>Have been mulling over the pc in Afghanistan topic since the first posting
>and I've been talking things over with some permie friend, and consensus
>seems to be that Afghanistan is ripe for permaculture. Women seem
>especially supportive of the idea.
>
>So, I'm gonna try and get resources/a team into Kabul. I've begun
>collecting seed, but could do with more in the way of details about both
>seed needs/climate and suchlike.

http://www.afghan-web.com/fauna/domestic.html

Domestic Plants found in Afghanistan

Nuts and Fruits: Vegetables:

* figs * beets
* walnuts * sesame
* plums * spinach
* almonds * flax
* bananas * radish
* dates * pumpkin
* pears * potatoes
* peaches * salad greens
* apricots * cabbage
* mulberries * garlic
* grapes * leeks
* pomegranates * turnips
* apples * asparagus
* quince * brusselssprouts
* oranges * eggplants
* cherries * squash
* strawberries * cauliflower
* pine nuts * fennel
* tomatoes * zanzibar pea
* garden pea
Cererals: * onions
* cotton
* rice * oleaster
* spring rye * sugarcane
* winter rye * vetch
* wheat *rape
* barley
* maize * alfalfa
* millet * tobacco
* castor oil plant * mustard
* cucumbers
* carrots
* clover
* lentils
* chick pea
*watermelons
* artichoke
* broadbean
* melons
*sunflowers

I'm just about to take off on a
>seedswapping expedition through the southern states (timetable at:
>www.calsnet.net/pilgrimage) so if you wanna get together en route to pass
>along tidbits of seed/counsel or whatever, please look me up.
>
>I'm somewhat networked in that part of Asia, and I'm working an angle or
>two. Could always do with more in the way of support, though. Do we know
>of any permies in that part of the world who may have counsel to share? Or
>in any other bioregions with not dissimilar ecologies?
>
>Plant peace,
>
>n.
>www.foodnotlawns.com

  • Re: pc in Kabul, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/13/2001
    • <Possible follow-up(s)>
    • Re: pc in Kabul, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/13/2001