permaculture - Re: permaculture digest: October 12, 2001

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: permaculture digest: October 12, 2001
  • Date: Sat, 13 Oct 2001 01:14:17 -0400

On Sat, 13 Oct 2001 00:40:45 -0400, Bob Ewing & Jocelyn Paquette
<sixdegrees@baynet.net> wrote:

>Greetings, gathering as much information as possible about the actual
>conditions in
>Afghanistan is vital but at some point there will be a need for an on site
>permaculture
>training project. This won't need to happen until after the bombing and the
>war stops

{I am watching a documentary on Afganistan on PBS TV right now}

and they have a new government representative of all ethnic groups in
the country, i.e those in the Northern Alliance and the Pashtuns
(sp.?). It would be interesting to get people from organic agriculture
and permaculture organizations in India, Japan, Oz, US, Thailand,
UK/Europe/Norway/Germany and possibly China (I hear there are some
large-scale organic agriculture projects/functioning enterprises in
southern China - Chinese people will pay more for organically-grown
food now that they have to spend only 15-20% of their budget on food
rather than the previous 60%) involved in helping the Afganis develop
the necessary infrastructure in their communities and bioregions to
provide food systems, agriculture, housing, health/safety/welfare and
eergy needs. Re: energy; Bergey windpower is manufacturing a
budget-priced 1000 watt, low-maintenance windmill in China, for export
(read: Afganistan) and for use by Chinese in regions not served by the
power grid.

LL

>but now is a good time to begin the long term planning.
>
>Bob Ewing
>Four Frogs Permaculture Design
>Thunder Bay, ON., Canada

  • Re: permaculture digest: October 12, 2001, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 10/13/2001