permaculture - Re: Announcing the new Appropriate Technology mailing list

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Announcing the new Appropriate Technology mailing list
  • Date: Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:02:27 -0400

On Sun, 29 Apr 2001 13:42:00 +0200, "Jamie Nicol"
<jamie.nicol@wanadoo.fr> wrote:

> I was thinking the other day about appropriate technology and
>recalled you had set up a mailing list on the subject and dug out the email,
>however the links below don't seem to work and I can't find a reference to
>the list on ibiblio: did it die from neglect? If so, it's a pity as it is
>the perfect interdisciplinary subject for the future of sustainable
>practices.

Recently, I combined it with this list since it was not getting much
use and the topic is close to (part of) permaculture. If there is real
interest I will restart it.

How many subscribers would like to have
a separate appropriate technology list and will put it to good use?

I haven't announced it here but months ago I started a biointensive
gardening list, BIOGARDEN, to accompany this one. See my website,
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech for access and subscription
or go to these links:
http://franklin.oit.unc.edu/cgi-bin/lyris.pl?enter=biogarden
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/documents/biogarden.faq
It's about hands-on gardening of any type:
forest, food, herb, landscape, farmscape, community, permaculture,
wildcrafting, market, self-sufficiency, homestead,
grass/grain/bean/fiber, etc. as done using methods described by
these disciplines: biointensive, regenerative, biological, biodynamic,
organic, natural, Earth-friendly and other similar ones currently in
use.

I see this list as being primarily for permaculture discussion,
biogarden for indepth, hands-on, hard-core natural gardening,
and appropriate technology for info on tools and tool-making
and anything to do with self-sufficient, sustainable, small-footprint
living, especially things to do with the household, amenities, etc.
i.e. shelter, alll aspects of food management, cooking, heating &
cooling, waste management and so forth.

We could also just discuss these things right here in permaculture
and forget the other lists, though I plan to keep biogarden for the
long haul. For all these topics in some way related t permaculture
discussion could start here then migrate to the other lists for more
complete, in-depth discussion so this list can be kept free for more
focused discussion of permaculture for professionals, practioners and
those who are new to permaculture and want to learn more for personal
use and/or career.

Maybe we could have a little feedback about adding new lists or
keeping things as they are.

Thanks,

Lawrence
water for