permaculture - Re: Greywater Question

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: Greywater Question
  • Date: Wed, 25 Apr 2001 19:37:05 -0400

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001 18:29:51 -0400, Claude Genest
<genest@together.net> wrote:

>So, apart from that emminently worthy reason, I was wondering if some of
>you could chime in with other reasons for putting in a reed bed greywater
>system.

Doesn't deposit treated effluent directly several feet underground,
that much closer to groundwater and aquifer.

You will end up with cleaner effluent that you can use around your
property in a variety of ways:

pressure washing the RV, the Porsche and the Unimog
hosing down the brick driveway to the 3 car garage

or if you're like most people: garden and landscape irrigation,
toilet flushing, a variety of aquaculture and aquaponics systems,
irrigaton of plant nursery, timber and fiber crops.

The usual plan is to take blackwater output from the septic tank
and let it flow into a series of interconnected systems, from reedbeds
to constructed wetlands, each using different containment systems,
plants and other organisms, with some in colder climates possibly
utilizing greenhouses covering the holding tanks.

Lots of creative and effective solutions that work to convert
blackwater to very clean, clear water with lots of plant byproducts
created in the process.

Do a search on "constucted wetlands" on Google and you will be quite
amazed and what you'll find. See also my collection on this subject
in:
http://www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech/permaculture-page.html
http://www.ibiblio.org/orgfarm/permaculture
http://www.ibiblio.org/orgfarm/bioremediation
http://www.ibiblio.org/orgfarm/aquaculture
http://www.ibiblio.org/orgfarm/hydroponics
http://www.ibiblio.org/orgfarm/hyperaccumulation

I plan to add a new page on alternative waste treatment which will
include material in the above links plus much of what I find from
Web searches.

LL

local self-reliance - community foodsheds - Fertile Crescent Concept -
independence and self-sufficiency - community gardens/landscapes/wild
areas for education and conservation of native species

L.F.London ICQ#27930345 lflondon@mindspring.com
www.ibiblio.org/ecolandtech london@ibiblio.org

  • Re: Greywater Question, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 04/25/2001