permaculture - Re: native/non-native

permaculture@lists.ibiblio.org

Subject: permaculture

  • From: "Lawrence F. London, Jr." <lflondon@mindspring.com>
  • To: permaculture
  • Subject: Re: native/non-native
  • Date: Mon, 11 Sep 2000 23:37:11 -0400

On Mon, 11 Sep 00 15:13:12 -0700, rick valley <bamboogrove@cmug.com>
wrote:

>Most do! But Hedera helix (English Ivy) and Ilex Aquifolium(English Holly)
>can penetrate intact native Oregon forest just fine.

There's a huge demand for containerized and B&B ivy starts and
hollies for landscape plantings, also any wild cedar for the
woodworking trades.

>Yeah, disturbance makes
>'em faster, but just normal blow-down does the job as far as that goes. And
>they're bird dispersed.
>and Mango Dance said about Kudzu:
>> Japan has a different climate and a variety of
>>uses for this plant and harvest it in large quantities.

We could do that here in the US if people would realize the value of
the plant and support businesses that utilize it.

>Yes- and then they sell the value-added products to the US! Can anybody find
>me a copy of "The Book of Kudzu"? I want it for the library...

I'd like a copy of that too. Is it by William Shurtleff?

>The thing that makes Yellow Flag Iris such a *menace* is that the (large)

Isn't that a medicinal plant? Couldn't it be harvested as wildcrafted?
I think it is widely used these days alone or in combination with
outer herbal extracts. It is for GI problems, I think.

>seeds float; nor is it palatable to geese and such. So it has rapidly come to
>dominate the lower Columbia R. sloughs, Lake Washington, Crystal Springs lake
>in Portland, the Clackamas R., etc. etc.
>there's always an exception.
>We've changed the ecology more than we can understand
>Don't kill all the rabbits, they're part of the new dreaming

Same applies to the deer.

Lawrence F. London, Jr. Venaura Farm ICQ#27930345
lflondon@mindspring.com london@metalab.unc.edu
http://metalab.unc.edu/ecolandtech Ecolandtech
http://metalab.unc.edu/permaculture Permaculture
http://metalab.unc.edu/intergarden/orgfarm AGINFO

  • Re: native/non-native, Lawrence F. London, Jr., 09/11/2000